Hacking an Intel network card to work on Server 2012 R2

With the release of Server 2012 R2, I decided to rebuild my test lab on the newest of the new.  The ‘newy-new’ as we call it in the field.

The install of Server 2012 R2 was relatively uneventful.  However, my Ethernet adapter was not detected.  Thinking myself a wise man, I went to the Asus website to find the Ethernet software, however the installation failed with ‘OS version not supported’. Such is the life on the bleeding edge.

I then went to the Intel site to download the NIC directly, but this install failed with ‘Cannot Install Drivers.  No Intel Adapters are present in this computer’.  Huh?  Well, being resourceful, I began Googling furiously.  I found a number of threads of chatter around related issues for other components (all cited below), and after some experimentation, I got it all working.

nichack-0
This message was not enough to stop me. I know there is an Intel NIC inside!

The thing to note here is that the problem is cause when Intel’s software attempts to automate the device install, rather than letting Windows handle the installation.  They go so far as to exclude certain device types from automated installation, as you’ll see under the [ControlFlags] section.  Who knows why this was done, as there seems to be no ill effects from installing this on a Server 2012 R2 system.  It is likely a troubleshooting minimization measure, to keep people from installing drivers for devices that won’t work on a particular setup.

We will not be so easily swayed.  : ).  Here is how to alter the .inf files for a device and then put Windows into a test mode which will allow us to force this modified driver into being installed.  You will need:

• The device drivers for your particular device.

• Willingness to tamper with and seek a deeper understanding of your computer system.

• To take ownership of the fact that things could go wrong in an unexpected manner, and it is not my fault or duty to help you fix it.

First, enable test mode and disable driver signing in order to install these hacked drivers.  We’ll need to do this because Windows requires signed drivers and will note that our changes to the driver files that we are about to make.

From an Administrative Command prompt:

bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

Now, restart the system.  As you see, we are now ‘Flying Dirty’

nichack-2
This is Microsoft’s way of reminding you that you’re doing something that you shouldn’t be doing.

Open your driver download and extract it somewhere (in my case for an Asus p8z77-v with an Intel 82579V Gigabit NIC).  I’ve placed my files at C:\temp\Intel_LAN_V17.1.50.0_Win8_Beta\PRO1000\Winx64\NDIS63.  You’ll want to open the various .inf files until you find the one that contains your Hardware IDs.

If you’d like to automate tracking down the desired driver(wouldn’t you!), open up device manager and select the malfunctioning device.  Go to the Details Pane and Select Hardware IDs.

nichack-1_0
Please ignore the fact that the name is detected successfully, I forgot to take a screen shot before I fixed the issue. If you’re reading this, your screen will generally look much more jacked up, with frowning device faces everywhere.

We’ll use ‘VEN_8086&DEV_1503’.  This may likely be different on your system.  Armed with our Vendor and device identifier, we will now browse to the directory in PowerShell where we placed the unzipped install files earlier.  Use the following command.

Get-ChildItem -recurse | Select-String -pattern “YOURHARDWAREID” | group path | select name

nichack-1_1
So nicely sorted. Imagine if we didn’t know Powershell and had to manually do all of this *shudder*

This is giving us an output of every .inf file which mentions our device ID by name.  This is very powerful and is saving us a ton of time finding the right file for our situation.  The next few bits just depend on us knowing a thing or two about the system we’re using and a bit about Driver Specification history (everyone’s favorite topic!)

We’re using a 64-bit system, so lets narrow things down to the files made for our architecture, as seen in the third from the left column below.

nichack-1_2

Then the Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS) that matches our OS, for reference:

Version Desktop OS Server OS
NDIS 6.0 Vista *
NDIS 6.1 Vista SP 1 Server 2008
NDIS 6.2 Windows 7 Server 2008 R2
NDIS 6.3 Windows 8 Server 2012
NDIS 6.4 Windows 8.1 Server 2012 R2

Updated on 10/09/2015

This means we will use the NDIS63 version.

nichack-1_3

This has narrowed it down to only one file, the e1c63x64.inf file.  If you’re a do-it-yourselfer, you can just paste my entry below, taking care to match the section heading.  if you want to know more, check the links below for more detail as to why this works.  The mile-high view is that we’re removing the exclusions for our device from Windows Auto Detection, and then copying some bits around.  Or something like that.  Seriously check the links if you have a burning curiosity.

<——BEGIN COPY————>

;**  Unless otherwise agreed by Intel in writing, you may not remove or      **
;**  alter this notice or any other notice embedded in Materials by Intel    **
;**  or Intel’s suppliers or licensors in any way.                           **
;******************************************************************************
;
;******************************************************************************

; e1c63x64.INF (Intel 64 bit extension Platform Only,
; Windows 8 64 bit extension)

;
; Intel(R) Gigabit Network connections
;******************************************************************************
;

[Version]
Signature   = "$Windows NT$"
Class       = Net

;    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1503

[Intel]

[Intel.NTamd64.6.2.1]
; DisplayName                   Section              DeviceID
; -----------                   -------              --------
%E1502NC.DeviceDesc%            = E1502.6.2.1,       PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1502
%E1502NC.DeviceDesc%            = E1502.6.2.1,       PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1502&SUBSYS_00011179
%E1502NC.DeviceDesc%            = E1502.6.2.1,       PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1502&SUBSYS_00021179
%E1502NC.DeviceDesc%            = E1502.6.2.1,       PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1502&SUBSYS_80001025
%E1503NC.DeviceDesc%            = E1503.6.2.1,       PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1503
%E1503NC.DeviceDesc%            = E1503.6.2.1,       PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1503&SUBSYS_00011179
%E1503NC.DeviceDesc%            = E1503.6.2.1,       PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1503&SUBSYS_00021179
%E1503NC.DeviceDesc%            = E1503.6.2.1,       PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1503&SUBSYS_80001025
%E1503NC.DeviceDesc%            = E1503.6.2.1,       PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1503&SUBSYS_04911025

[Intel.NTamd64.6.2]
; DisplayName                   Section        DeviceID
; -----------                   -------        --------
%E1502NC.DeviceDesc%            = E1502,       PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1502
%E1502NC.DeviceDesc%            = E1502,       PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1502&SUBSYS_00011179
%E1502NC.DeviceDesc%            = E1502,       PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1502&SUBSYS_00021179
%E1502NC.DeviceDesc%            = E1502,       PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1502&SUBSYS_80001025
%E1503NC.DeviceDesc%            = E1503.6.2.1,       PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1503

;===============================================================================

;                WINDOWS 8 for 64-bit EXTENDED PLATFORMS

;

<———–Please stop copying———->

If you’re the trusting sort, you can just click this link for the Complete inf https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6268163/e1c63x64.inf

Now, go back to device manager, select the errant device and Update Driver, pointing it to the directory that contains our modified driver.  If all went well, you should see the device begin to install automatically!

Yay, Happy Device Manager. 'Whats up with that missing 'e-home transceiver?' Um...this is more of a do as I say, not as I do situation.
Yay, Happy Device Manager. ‘Whats up with that missing ‘e-home transceiver?’ Um…this is more of a do as I say, not as I do situation.

Don’t forget to disable test mode when you’re finished, with this command.

bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF

Sources:

sixcolumns.com/t/how-to-disable-and-bypass-driver-signature-enforcement-in-windows-8/151/2

68 thoughts on “Hacking an Intel network card to work on Server 2012 R2

1. Patric March 25, 2014 / 3:44 pm

Hi,
    Thanks for the guide🙂

Is it possible to do the same for video drivers?
    I have a NUC D54250VYK that I have installed 2012R2 server on. I have got the LAN to work ok but not the GPU and Audio, audio is only extra because I´m using the NUC as a Lab-server only!

/Patric

• FoxDeploy March 25, 2014 / 4:33 pm

Sure thing, its the same idea, get the device ID from a known good Server 2012 R2 driver, and copy and paste that into the same spot on your desired driver. It is pretty much the same steps.

• Clay August 17, 2014 / 2:18 am

Thank you 100 times over, not only the savings of money but the time saved cut, paste done.

2. Wasim Shaikh April 24, 2014 / 5:17 am

Looks like I have got some work this weekend!, I start building a hyper-v lab on 2012 R2 and onBoard NIC is not detected!. was searching for solution. Will try this tonight. Thanks.

• FoxDeploy April 24, 2014 / 3:46 pm

Happy to help, keep in mind that most of the core driver functionality is the same between the desktop and server cores, so for most devices, this approach will work. I’ve even done it on video cards

• Tristan November 17, 2016 / 7:10 am

Your LAN workaround was great!! Can you please help me to do it with a video card. I’m trying install gtx 1070 on windows server 2016. In device manager i have no ‘unkown devices’ nor ‘other devies’.

• FoxDeploy November 17, 2016 / 4:17 pm

What you’re probably seeing is that your video card was recognized and installed as ‘Microsoft Generic Video Display’ or something similar to that. In order to get your fancy drivers working, go to this device and right click, then choose ‘update driver’ and point it to your modified device.

• hetismaargeld November 17, 2016 / 7:16 am

Thank you for your guide. The LAN workaround Worked great. I am on a Server 2016 (evaluation copy). I taught NDIS65 was for S2016, but NDIS64(2012 r2) seemed to be the right one. Can you help me installing a gtx 1070 on server 2016? The thing is.. i have no ‘other devices’ nor ‘unkown devices’ in device manager. im searching google but not much help. Thanks!

• altinous November 17, 2016 / 8:50 am

I got the video card to work!!!😀

• FoxDeploy November 17, 2016 / 4:18 pm

Well, don’t leave us hanging, how’d you do it! If you don’t have a blog…time to start one and write this. Then post it here!

3. Alex Konshin May 4, 2014 / 9:19 pm

In my case it can be done easier without switching to test mode (NUC D54250WYB, Windows 2012R2).
    Basically you just need to find the name of exact driver that you need.
    In my case it is e1d64x64. Then go to DeviceManager and update the driver of network card (through “Have a Disk”).

• mohamed nur April 26, 2016 / 9:27 am

you saved me mate so simple and easy …. thank you

4. Mitchell Hennessy June 14, 2014 / 8:05 pm

Just a bit of clarification on the Windows version code numbers:
    6.0 is Vista/Server 2K8
    6.1 is Win7/Server 2K8R2
    6.2 is Win8.0/Server 2012
    6.3 is Win8.1/Server 2012R2

• Mitchell Hennessy June 14, 2014 / 8:14 pm

…and for the NDIS versions, NDIS63 corresponds to Windows 8/Server 2012, not R2, as NDIS64 corresponds to 8.1/2012R2 –> e1c64x64.sys

• r4p70r91 October 9, 2015 / 4:48 am

Thanks Mitchell, I couldn t get it working with 2012(not r2). I was trying to install NDIS62 and it wasn’t working.
        Foxdeploy should warn/correct this table.

• FoxDeploy October 9, 2015 / 9:16 am

Good call! I’ll update the list.

5. Andy July 1, 2014 / 2:14 pm

thanks a lot, i am using it with an intel nuc (2012 R2)

6. Kai-Uwe August 1, 2014 / 1:30 pm

I try the same with my Intel NUC but I cannot find the files. Where does the LAN_Win8.1_64_PROWin_19.1.exe write them?

• Roberto September 4, 2014 / 8:18 am

That exe file uses a winrar compression algorithim. To get to the files just download and install winrar and open the exe with winrar. It would look like a regular zip or rar file, then you can extract them to what ever place you want.

7. Adam September 11, 2014 / 1:10 pm

Had to change e1d64x64.ini in the NDIS64 folder to get mine working (I1218-V, Server 2012 R2). Great guide though thanks!

8. Vidar December 16, 2014 / 4:05 pm

This article solved my problem. I finally got my system working. Thanks a lot!!

9. WolF January 6, 2015 / 5:13 pm

Hi Stephen!
    Thank You very much for this tip.
    It save me very much time I think ;-]

10. Jaaash February 24, 2015 / 2:57 pm

Dude you rock! Modding a box to make it work and the exact same thing happened. I had a long “OH SH*&” moment but then I found this page. I had to work it a little different but in the end it worked fabulously.

Thank y so much.

• FoxDeploy February 24, 2015 / 3:17 pm

Happy it helped. I think Intel should be a bit more open with their drivers and the vetting process which would avoid this whole issue.

11. jhallenbeckgrc February 24, 2015 / 2:59 pm

Steven,

Thanks so much for posting this. I am trying to modify a box and this exact same thing happened to me. I had an extended “OH SH*&!” moment but then I found this article.

Bravo man.

12. Chandan Nagaraja May 7, 2015 / 7:49 am

Thanks a lot for sharing … It was very helpful … Highly appreciated🙂

13. esser May 7, 2015 / 2:56 pm

Just tried to get it working on a NUC5i7RYH, but failed. Anybody tried this?

14. Frank May 13, 2015 / 11:38 am

Hi Stephen, i am running 2012 Essentials but the test mode is not showing after i did the first step and restarted(however the commands are successfully completed)….the big G is giving me no clue, do you have any idea? (other that maybe essentials is stripped off the test mode)

Thanks, Frank

• FoxDeploy May 13, 2015 / 11:50 am

Test mode is necessary for this approach to work, so you’ll need to get that working

15. sewew May 13, 2015 / 4:28 pm

I have intel gigabit ct desktop adapter, i followed your guide and it still doesn’t work, i have windows server 2012 r2 datacenter build 9600, v 6.3 x64. I open my e1c63x64.inf and made changes under test mode and nothing. Please can you advice individual method for my nic ty.
    Here is ,y e1c63x64.inf

• FoxDeploy May 28, 2015 / 8:13 am

Are you sure this is the right driver for your Nic? If you’re not using the same network adapter that this post was written for, you’ll have to do some sleuthing to find the right .inf file to edit. Once you find that file though, you can pretty much make very similar edits as I’ve done in this post.

16. Carlos June 7, 2015 / 11:55 am

Please, I wonder how to solve “PCI \ VEN_8086 & DEV_15A1” for a server 2008 r2. You can send me the .info file ready?

17. Craig June 9, 2015 / 2:46 pm

Thanks so much for the hack. Got a Gateway i5 I’m doing some testing on and the PCI NIC I was using was giving me fits. Your instructions worked perfectly for getting the onboard NIC to work.

18. Dan VEsely June 16, 2015 / 2:06 am

I found this on another site and it worked for me!
    I’ve got the exact same problem as the one that has been described above. I then checked the Plug’n’Play Hardware ID on mine (which is the D34010WYK model) which comes up as: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1559&SUBSYS_20548086&REV_04 which in its turn resolves to an Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I218-V. Well that driver isn’t built into Windows Server 2012 R2 BUT I then checked on Another NUC in the house (which is a D54250WYK) that is running Windows 8.1, it uses a driver called Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I218-LM and that one exists in Windows Server 2012 R2. I installed it and so far Everything seems to work ok. I’m sure I might be missing out on some little detail that differentiates the two adapters, but for all intents and purposes the problem seems solved this way? I hope it helps!

Kind Regards, Mike

19. sWAPNIL TANDEL July 5, 2015 / 8:09 am

you SIMPLY AWESOME…….:) iT WORKS

20. bkeim777 September 16, 2015 / 5:20 pm

Thanks for guide worked like a charm!!

21. dayne c. October 14, 2015 / 1:26 am

Thanks a lot for this! I was able to install the Intel i219-v on-board lan card on server 2012 r2.

22. JesusBaby October 29, 2015 / 4:26 pm

Hi,

Was stuck with this issue on my server for a about a week plus

Tried the logic on my ASUS Home server today – worked perfectly!

You are a Star!

Good job

OluT

23. Richard October 29, 2015 / 9:50 pm

Will this work with MS 2012 R2 Hyper-v core installation. As there is no GUI.

• FoxDeploy October 30, 2015 / 5:41 am

Sure, just make the changes from another pc.

24. Elpachino November 3, 2015 / 7:15 pm

I have a better and faster solution for you;

Download the driver from:

Unpack the driver, then,

Go to Device Manager

Select the “Intel (R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection” network adapter driver that can not be installed by Windows 2012R2 to perform a driver update. Of course, in the Device Manager List “Other Devices”

Go to the properties of the adapter
    Click the button “Update Drrivers” under the “General” tab
    In the next screen “Brows my computer for driver software”
    Choose the 2nd option “Let me pic from a list of device drivers on my computer”
    Selec the device type “Network adapters”
    Select “Have Disk”
    Brows to the directory where the Intel Adapter Drivers take place
    In my case is the directory for Windows 2012R2
    …. …. PRO1000 / Winx64 / NDIS64
    Now you see the .inf files that you can select

e1c62x64.inf file is for Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2
    e1c63x64.inf file is for Windows 8 and Server 2012
    e1c64x64.inf file is for Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2

After selection, click OK
    Click Next to create the update complete.

25. Elpachino November 3, 2015 / 7:18 pm

I have a better and faster solution for you;

Download the driver from:

Unpack the driver

Go to Device Manager

Go to the properties of the adapter
    Click the button “Update Drrivers” under the “General” tab
    In the next screen “Brows my computer for driver software”
    Choose the 2nd option “Let me pic from a list of device drivers on my computer”
    Selec the device type “Network adapters”
    Select “Have Disk”
    Brows to the directory where the Intel Adapter Drivers take place
    In my case is the directory for Windows 2012R2
    …. …. PRO1000 / Winx64 / NDIS64
    Now you see the .inf files that you can select

e1c62x64.inf file for Windows 7 Server 2008 R2
    e1c63x64.inf file is for Windows 8 and Server 2012
    e1c64x64.inf file is: Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2

After selection, click OK
    Click Next to create the update complete

• FoxDeploy November 3, 2015 / 7:22 pm

This doesn’t actually work, because those driver source files typically have excludes parameters specified in them to prohibit their usage on untested platforms (read:they don’t want you using that consumer NIC with a production server OS. They want you to buy the 20x more expensive Server rated nic)

Still, if this works for you, great!

• hansnaert November 13, 2015 / 7:38 am

Great! this works!

Just have a disk and select the driver I218LM

• VirstSteve November 22, 2015 / 11:47 pm

Yes sir. This hack to use the Intel I218m driver worked for me installing Windows Server 2012 R2 on the Intel NUC 5I7. Thanks for this post.

26. Fantastic website you have here but I was wanting to
    know if you knew of any user discussion forums that cover the same topics talked about
    in this article? I’d really love to be a part of online community where
    I can get comments from other experienced individuals that
    share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
    Thank you!

• FoxDeploy January 14, 2016 / 8:46 am

Scroll to the bottom and see the ‘sources’ section of this post. You’ll find links to a number of forums with this kind of stuff🙂

27. Jay January 28, 2016 / 10:24 pm

ok I am a new at this. I followed your inst. all the way to “begin copy”
    eld64x64.inf E15b8. NDIS64 Windows 2012 r2 was as far as I got. What am I to change in your driver so that it woks on my system.

28. Veijo March 10, 2016 / 3:18 pm

Choosing the Windows driver for Intel 82579LM lit up the onboard NIC in my NUC5i7RYH. I’m trying it out as a SBS2011 Std server.

Thanks for putting the work into this website!

29. Vincent C. May 10, 2016 / 1:26 pm

Hello, i’ve run into a bit of a snag on a server i’m building for my home. I believe that i can get sleep mode to work if i get the intel HD driver installed (in an effort to save power, the mobo supports wake on LAN). I’m running a core i5-2400 with Server 2012 r2 and i can’t seem to get the driver to install. I’ve tried finding something in the .INF file that would stop it, but my knowledge of such things is limits. Anyone have any thoughts?
    Also, i’ve been working off the Intel Graphics Driver for Windows 10 and Windows 7/8.1 version 15.33.42.4358

30. Vicky May 18, 2016 / 1:50 pm

Thank you so much!!

Saved me having to roll my laptop back to server 2012!

31. Armando June 18, 2016 / 12:10 am

What kind of black magic is this?!!!! :O

It works, Thanks alot!!!!

• FoxDeploy June 18, 2016 / 7:31 am

No magic! Driver files include instructions for the OS, to tell it which versions of the OS should try to install the drivers.

This method walks you through modifying the driver instructions file to work on any version of Windows. Sometimes the hardware won’t work though, so keep that in mind

32. Sean August 26, 2016 / 3:20 am

Awesome. Thank you.

33. Graham October 4, 2016 / 10:29 am

Do you know if in Hyper V 2012 there’s anyway to force a specific model of the network adaptor?
    In Server 2012 this method doesn’t seem to work for me however if I go through a manual driver selection, then choose disk, I’m able to select the correct item and install the card. Using pnputil -i -a won’t work for me in Hyper-V

Thanks and appreciate the guide so far

34. Luzio October 19, 2016 / 1:50 pm

Any updated guid to do this with server 2016?

• hetismaargeld November 17, 2016 / 7:28 am

Yeah i just succeeded for (2) i218-V. add these two lines to [Intel.NTamd64.6.3]
      %E15A1NC.DeviceDesc% = E15A1.6.3.1, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15A1
      %E15A1NC.DeviceDesc% = E15A1.6.3.1, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15A1&SUBSYS_00008086

Then in device manager => action => add legacy hardware => browse to NDIS64 and continue.

35. Alex November 14, 2016 / 4:14 am

thank you. i have the same ethernet adapter and win serv 2012R2. You helped me!) good expirience for me

36. denisguyon@free.fr December 5, 2016 / 10:36 pm

It worked with Windows Server 2016 and Intel i219-V (Supermicro MB)

File to modify : ..\PRO1000\Winx64\NDIS65\e1d65x64.inf

Lines to add to [Intel.NTamd64.10.0] :

%E15B8NC.DeviceDesc% = E15B8.10.0.1, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15B8
    %E15B8NC.DeviceDesc% = E15B8.10.0.1, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15B8&SUBSYS_00008086
    %E15B8NC.DeviceDesc% = E15B8.10.0.1, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15B8&SUBSYS_00011179

After simply Start the Intel Autorun Setup..

Have Fun😉

• FoxDeploy December 7, 2016 / 2:09 pm

I’m happy it worked and very happy you decided to share what you did. Good job dude, way to help yourself !

37. Dinoop December 7, 2016 / 2:21 am

Thank you soo much..it worked for me…🙂