Upcoming Events: PowerShell Training, by me!

If you’ve been following my blog, chances are that you enjoy PowerShell, and hopefully like my take on presenting information and the like! I’m happy to announce that we’ve got open registration now for two exciting upcoming PowerShell training events!

The South-Eastern PowerShell Bootcamp Tour


This is THE premier hands-on PowerShell Bootcamp event.   Come with no command line, DOS, VBScripting or other experience and leave writing powerful one-liners and scripts.  You’ll receive poignant tips from the field in a custom course designed and taught by Microsoft MVP of Scripting, Stephen Owen.  Bring your laptop and appetite, as Breakfast and Lunch are included!


Continue reading

Check your US Postal Service Package Status with PowerShell!

Hey guys!

Been a while since I wrote up a fun little PowerShell REST API tool, so here we go! I taught a four day PowerShell boot camp for a Fortune 50 company, and during the event, one of my students called out the need to track his package delivery online.

The discussion quickly turned high-dork, as we dug in to see if there was a convenient way to get this information.

It turns out that the United States Postal Service has a REST API we can use to check for the status of package delivery.

Continue reading

Part IV – DSC – One-Click Domain Controller


This post is part of the Learning PowerShell DSC Series, here on FoxDeploy. Click the banner to return to the series jump page!

Hey guys, I haven’t forgotten about you, but it’s been a very busy month here, with me traveling to Redmond ( Microsoft HQ! I have to post a pic!) for some exciting Microsoft meetings and then back and forth to Minneapolis for a new client!

2015-06-02 13.48.56

I didn’t know what to do with my hands in this picture.

I’ve been receiving your messages and have now released the final step in this one-click Domain controller DSC Build. To recap, we left off with a DSC Config that would make our machine a domain controller, but that was it. Continue reading

Part III – Using Advanced GUI Elements in PowerShell


This post is part of the Learning GUI Toolmaking Series, here on FoxDeploy. Click the banner to return to the series jump page!

Welcome back to the GUI Series here on FoxDeploy.com! In the previous weeks, I’ve had a lot of feedback and requests from you guys (which I absolutely love! Assuming I don’t need sleep, I’m content to stay up till the wee hours of the morning helping you guys out and responding to your comments or requests, so keep ’em coming!). As for where this blog is heading…I’ve really been bit hard by the maker bug, and I recently purchased a RaspBerry Pi 2, which is super awesome and incredibly powerful. Direct deploying a program from Visual Studio to this little guy and seeing it light up and project content to my HDMI monitor really makes it feel like I’m doing something tangible. I’ll be making a whole series of posts about cool things you can do with the Pi. If you have any ideas, send ’em over!

We’re going to cover a number of topics in this one, namely ‘how do I do ex’ questions. We’ll have two somewhat silly examples to start, followed by an actually useful GUI to create a user to wrap us up here.

We’ll specifically be hitting all of these guys here, in order.

• Hide a UI Element (by special request)
• Use Checkboxes
• Use radio buttons (by special request)
• Populate a drop-down box automatically

Also, in a big departure from the past, I’ll not be posting full code on here anymore. From now on, code samples from here will always be linked and kept up-to-date on GitHub. You can find the code from this post here: https://github.com/1RedOne/Post_III

Alright, let’s get started. Power up Visual Studio and create a new project, specify ‘WPF’ as your type in the search box.
Continue reading

Quick How-To: Add an image to your Raspberry Pi Windows App


This is part of the Learning Raspberry Pi Series here on FoxDeploy.com. Click the banner for more Raspberry Pi and Windows!

One of the first things you’ll want to do when you make a GUI to push out to your Raspberry Pi 2 with Windows 10 is to make a fancy smancy GUI. To do that, you’ll need an image!

Assuming you’ve followed the guide here to make your first HelloWorld app, you might want to add an image. This will be your first image embedded in a functional app, so you’d better make it a good one! Continue reading